It depends. If you have a static list of players then you can store your
select model in the session. If it's dynamic, you prob want to reload
from the db each time.

To be honest I'm not sure that storing stuff like this as an SSO is
best-practice - it's more for user session state. And you want to limit
what you store in the session anyway as it contributes to your
application's overhead - small objects, primitive data types, not huge
lists of complex objects. These should come from the db.

Although a more experienced Tapestry dev can confirm.