It might help to know the structure by which you control login and navigation inside the authorized portion of your application.

In my case, all the login forms explicitly return the Overview page :

public onSuccessFromForm(){
    // Login validation
    return overview;
}

@InjectPage
private Overview overview;

Is there some structure to your application that prevents this from being a usable pattern?