The pipeline seems to be created as expected...Perhaps there's something
else going on...Yes very strange. I've added a few more css/less files to
try to isolate the problem. It appears as though index.less works as:

   @bgcolor: red;

.rounded-corners {

  border-radius: 5px;

}

p {

  background: @bgcolor;

}

but change it to:

   @bgcolor: red;

.rounded-corners {

  border-radius: 5px;

}

p {

  background: @bgcolor;

  .rounded-corners;

}

and the Tapestry response handler looses it's mind! Less can't compile it
because the string returned from the response handling is:
?sHJO???/?R(JM????+?/?KIM?M?/?K-*V??RPH?/JI-?-JL?,-?R0-?????*?H&&g??uY)8@M
????????m

So it seems as though Tapestry is trying to do something with the CSS that
makes it completely unreadable and this breaks the less filter.