On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 12:20 AM, Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
<thiag...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 00:23:59 -0300, Earle Nietzel <earle.niet...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>
> Hi!
>
>> I have recently begun using the Tapestry 5 framework a few months ago and
>> have been very satisfied with it (actually am very impressed with it).
>
> :)
>
>> I am working with another open source project called Sakai which is an LMS
>> for Higher Ed. which uses a conglomeration of Java web frameworks like:
>>
>> Velocity
>> JSF
>> Wicket
>> JSP
>
> Not at the same time, I guess. ;)

Nope Sakai is a conglomeration of about 25 core webapps and has
another 30 in contrib.

Each of those webapps choose the web framework that they wish to use
but never 2 in one webapp.

For webapps that need to expose their functionality it also uses the
shared classloader to stick its api's in and an additional classloader
(components) that holds the impl's.

>> I would like to add Tapestry to the list.
>
> Nice!
>
>> The problem is that sakai expects to work with a servlet and tries to
>> access a RequestDispatcher from the servlet context and then forwards the
>> call to the right tool.
>> Does tapestry uses a web filter instead of a servlet?
>
> Yes. I'd try to use Sakai with Tapestry without any changes before saying
> changes need to be done so they can work together. Have you done this?

Yes I did try, I see that Tapestry loads up but when accessing the
tool from within Sakai it complains that the tool does not have a
RequestDispatcher. It attempts to retrieve the RequestDispatcher from
the servlet context but obviously there is know servlet!

>> If so it looks like support may have to be added to handle tool
>> registration for those of a type filter.
>
> Sakai is open-source (so says Wikipedia), so I guess you can rewrite the
> Sakai servlet filter as a Tapestry RequestFilter without much effort if
> needed.

I think I will need to add the bits for it to handle a filter in
sakai's (ActiveToolComponent).

I will report back when I have further news.

Thanks for the comment Thiago,
Earle