On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 9:16 AM, Norman Franke <nor...@myasd.com> wrote:
> On Jun 24, 2011, at 7:28 PM, Kalle Korhonen wrote:
>> On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 3:33 PM, Norman Franke <nor...@myasd.com> wrote:
> I'm allocating 768MB for the heap. I haven't tried lower, but jconsole
> indicates I'm using no more than 80 MB. So I'm a but puzzled at how it
> exceeded 128 MB. Perhaps when it threw an exception while I was getting some
> of the conversion issues resolved? Does throwing an exception leak PermGen?

80MB is a very good (low) heap consumption but that varies during the
memory consumption of a JVM process is heap max + permgen max + some
for the JVM itself. Throwing an exception doesn't "leak permGen" but
if that exception class (plus all related classes) take a small amount
of additional memory in permgen space. Permgen consumption doesn't
generally go down with the default JVM settings (once you've loaded a
class, it's always in memory).

For Rich, the definite resolution is to increase the max amount of
memory allocated to permgen (for Sun's JVM).

Kalle