How is your encoder identifying the objects?  Is it using the id from
Hibernate (or whatever you are using)?  If so, the value is id is
going to be 0 so the encoder isn't going to be able to figure out
which value to retrieve. This would explain why it works for objects
that are in the db (and have an id), but not for objects outside the
db.

Also, make sure that the values are actually being persisted on the
page.  For example, if you are dealing with "people" objects and you
add a few in Ajax, you need to make sure that these (non-persistent)
objects are somehow stored in a list that is going to still be there
when you want to do something with them again.

Mark