Are you possibly monkey-patching the code?  Here's the current version of that:

    processReply : function(reply) {
        Tapestry.loadScriptsInReply(reply, function() {
            /*
             * In a multi-zone update, the reply.content may be missing, in
             * which case, leave the curent content in place. TAP5-1177
             */
            reply.content != undefined && this.show(reply.content);

            /*
             * zones is an object of zone ids and zone content that will be
             * present in a multi-zone update response.
             */
            reply.zones && Object.keys(reply.zones).each(function(zoneId) {
                var manager = Tapestry.findZoneManagerForZone(zoneId);

                if (manager) {
                    var zoneContent = reply.zones[zoneId];
                    manager.show(zoneContent);
                }
            });
        }.bind(this));
    },

Unless I'm missing something, that should handle the case for
reply.zones being null/undefined correctly.  Certainly, Tapestry's
test suite includes the case for ProgressiveDisplay without additional
zones being updated.

In addition, Tapestry is transitioning towards a more "fail early"
approach on the client side, since the mechanisms in place to allow
initialization to continue after a JavaScript error make it very hard
to actually identify and fix the cause of the JavaScript error.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210