Because it IS a parameter binding.  The parameter is "value".  You're trying to
bind a value to it.  In your case, you're trying to bind the literal value <<
to it. But the default prefix for value for output raw is "prop", and you don't
specify otherwise, so it assumes you've provided a property expression, and
attempts to convert " &lt;&lt; " to a property expression, and fails.  I gave
two possible solutions in my previous e-mail; Steve gave another (which I
neglected to add before): prefix your value with "literal:" which will override
the default binding type of "prop":

<teventlink t:id="firstpage"><t:outputraw value="literal: &lt;&lt; "/>

Also, why are you wrapping eventlink in an anchor? Event link will generate an
anchor tag for you...

  <a t:type="eventlink" t:id="firstpage"><t:outputraw value="literal: &lt;&lt;
"/></a>

The one thing that I don't recall offhand is whether the literal binding trims
whitespace off the ends of the value; you'll have to check that.

Robert