This sounds like a problem I had a while ago. Check out [1] and [2]

A stream response will casue the pages onUnload to be called cleaning up all the zone managers (I believe). A quick fix is to add a target="_blank" to your download link. But this will in most browsers cause an empty tab to be opened for your download. The best way is to download the stream to a hidden iframe which will keep you page working as it should and the download to nicely download on the same page.

Hope it helps,
Joost

[1] http://tapestry.1045711.n5.nabble.com/File-download-breaks-ajax-zone-manager-td4434859.html
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAP5-1533