Yes, you can do either.

If you want to forward unauthenticated users to another page, just add
an onActivate() method in your page class and have it determine
whether a user is authenticated and then return the unauthenticated
page if they aren't. That works fine, and a lot of people chose that
simple approach.

A more general and recommended approach is to handle such security
concerns application-wide, perhaps using a ComponentRequestFilter
class. See
http://jumpstart.doublenegative.com.au/jumpstart/examples/infrastructure/protectingpages
for an example of this using a custom annotation.

The Tynamo Tapestry-security module
(http://tynamo.org/tapestry-security+guide) takes this approach even
further, with nice pre-built security annotations and Tapestry
conditional components that wrap around parts of pages you want to
protect.