Remember,it's a pipeline that works like:

filter a -> filter b -> filter c -> final filter
and then the flow returns /back up/ the chain of filters
filter c -> filter b -> filter a.

The filter that handles placing the resources into the document is
"DocumentLinker". It's added fairly early in the chain. It sets up some
environment variables, then passes control down the chain. It adds the
stylesheets to the document when control returns to the filter. The idea is
that all of the component rendering, etc. adds to a growing list of assets that
DocumentLinker needs to place into the document, and only when all of that
rendering is finished are they actually added to the document.  So by
specifying after:*, you have:

filter a -> document linker (setup environment) -> ... -> your filter
and then
your filter -> ... -> document linker (add resources) -> filter a

So what you really want is not to be after:*, but to be before:DocumentLinker,
and then it would work like:

filter a -> your filter -> document linker (setup environment) -> ...
... -> document linker (add various stylesheets -> your filter (add your custom
css file here) -> filter a

Ie, contribute it before:DocumentLinker, and then your filter code would be
something like:

public void renderMarkup(MarkupWriter writer, MarkupRenderer delegate) {
  //pass control through to document linker, etc.
  delegate.renderMarkup(writer);
  //now add your custom stylesheet.
  writer.getDocument()...
}