I used morphia for some smaller projects over a year now.
Since a few weeks we're developing larger app that's dealing with really a lot
more data and we quickly reached the point where morphia wasn't able to do
certain things and we ended up writing code directly against the driver API.
I won't go too much into detail now, since it would be a bit offtopic....
Our conclusion was that we needed the best performing json mapper we could find
and it seems like the jackson-based mongo-jackson-mapper is the fastest out
there!

Integrating these mappers was very easy. Switching from one to the other was
also very easy. I'm curious about Igor's approach :-)