I've got people running vulnerability scanners against a production site.
I've also got log4j configured to send email exceptions to me and
unfortunately this means I get a lot of email. For example the scanner
requests /index.php~

which results in the following log:

2012-02-21 14:17:37,324 [ajp-bio-8009-exec-48] [ERROR]
TapestryModule.RequestExceptionHandler Processing of request failed with
uncaught exception: Input string  'index.php~' is not valid; the character
'~' at position 10 is not valid.

Which results in a email to me.

I realize I could stop this with some log4j config but what I'd rather do is
just stop all this traffic before it even gets that far. Perhaps if you get
more than 10 exceptions in a minute blacklist your IP. Has anyone done
anything like that or have other suggestions?

Thanks
Barry