Hi George,

What follows depends on my guess that you use some form of declarative
transaction mechanism, like annotations on methods.

Generally your transaction(and your session) are closed at the end of the
root method(annotated) call or at the end the request, if you use the
spring OpenSessionInViewFilter: so you always have a commit(or rollback) at
most at the end of the request.
The only exception i saw is SpringWebFlow, in which you can declare a
transaction on the entire flow (i don't know how they do).

If I remember correctly there are a lot of posts similar to your question
in hibernate forums, that says: reattaching the session without committing
is impossible.

for the UUID, i think you are talking about a sequence ?

I read you have a "root" entity, so i guess there are some others related:
could you post your root entity ?

Cheers,
Giulio