YES, that worked.  Sort of.

Root URL is not found, but if pulled up as Index, no mo [ERROR].
Specifically,

http://localhost:8080/newapp/  leads to HTTP 404 error - page not found

However,

http://localhost:8080/newapp/Index  works (?!)

Sorry to be picky....Here is the quote from

http://tapestry.apache.org/configuration.html#Configuration-Changestoweb.xml
http://tapestry.apache.org/configuration.html#Configuration-Changestoweb.xml

User Guide wrote

> Tapestry Requests vs. Container Requests
>
> The Tapestry filter matches all the requests that apply to Tapestry, and
> passes the rest off to the servlet container. In situations where there
> would be a naming conflict, */actual files inside the web application take
> precedence over Tapestry pages./* (*)
>
> *Tapestry recognizes the root URL, where the servlet path is simply "/",
> and renders the application page "Index", if it exists.* (which is the
> case with newapp...it has an Index component, but that is NOT what T5 is
> doing) (**)

(*)meaning an index.jsp inside web app would intercept the request meant for
the Index component?  Guess what, it does...! )

(**) This contradicts (*) - I think we just discovered that this may not be
working as advertised in (and probably not just in) Tomcat 7...unless
configured to ignore welcome file list as advised.

Basically, the root URL is not pulling up Index (first/before other
resources)...and Tapestry is AMBIGUOUS about the precedence - at least in
the manual.

One would think the simplest fix would be to put an index.jsp in the newapp
folder with a jsp forward to Index, as follows:

<jsp:forward page="/Index" />

But, sure enough, that does NOT work...would be too easy ;-).

Nevertheless, good work.  This has been fun.  Yes, the JIRA 1904 may be
closed...with the proper explanation  of the workaround (as you guys see
fit).