I've looked at the form fragments in firebug. It doesn't appear that the
form fragment is being changed at all except the visible attribute. I've
pasted the output from firebug below:

Before fragment 3:

<input id="formfragment_1-hidden" type="hidden" name="t:formdata"
value="H4sIAAAAAAAAAFvzloG1XI5BJjElNzNPPzW3ICe/MjVVPyS1uMSquDQpN7Mk3rC4iMEhvyhdL7EgMTkjVa8ksQAoW1RpqpecX5Sak5kEpHML8vNS80qK9YLBelQCivKTU4uLwbzi4sz8vJnBnyS3bmlxZmJg8mHgSM7JBKr2TClhEPLJSixL1M9JzEvXDy4pysxLt/Zh4E7NSc0FKvBLzE0tZKhjYKwoKGHggDrHCIkJAH81VIC+AAAA">
<h2>That's all we need!</h2>
Please verify the following information:
To complete this employee, press the
<em>Finish</em>
button.

On fragment 3: