JEE application servers typically do not actually prevent you from
accessing the file system, and the spec does not require them to. So
if it works with your specific app server / jee stack, you are home free.

The spec prohibits accessing the file system sort of to protect you
from yourseslf - the file system is not transactional, needs attention
in a clustered environment etc.

That is specified in section 21.2.2 "Programming Restrictions" of the
EJB 3.1 specification (JSR 318,
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javaee/tech/index.html):

•An enterprise bean must not use the java.io package to attempt to
access files and directories in the file system.

The file system APIs are not well-suited for business components to
access data. Business components should use a resource manager API,
such as JDBC, to store data.

The bottom line is:
* the spec allows file system access from a servlet. The restriction
applies only to EJBs.
* Even from EJBs it works and is likely to continue working.
* But accessing the file system from an EJB formally makes an
application not strictly JEE6 compliant.

I hope that helps

- - Arno

[2] = https://openejb.apache.org/collapsed-ear.html