great answer christian,

quote:
"brings another caveat: If the actionLink from my example would be specified in the template before the zone this wouldn't work. The zone's clientId would be "null" because the zone hasn't been rendered, yet… You could add some more advanced tricks with Heartbeats and @HeartbeatDeferred but… I guess you'll just stick with solution #1"

this is exactly what i meant by my answer and a bit of a pet hate.

Is there any drawback to ALWAYS setting t:id & id so they are equal?

If not, i may create a patch/custom zone component until tapestry catches up .. ?