You are giving us incomplete examples, so we can only guess. However my
suspicion is that your declaration of default value itemsPerPage is bad.
Tapestry 5 does not like initialisation of private fields in components and
pages. Try:

    @Parameter(value="50", required = false, cache = false)
    private int itemsPerPage;

If it does not help, send minimal but complete example of failing code
(i.e. Java source + TML).

Best regards,
Cezary