Am 26.10.2012 02:32, schrieb nhhockeyplayer nashua:
Folks,

Do I really NEED to have a form with my <select> components ?

I know its unorthadox... but I would like to skip the form if possible to keep this
lightweight and just use  onchange="this.form.submit()" when it gets selected.
For that concrete question:
ask yourself, why you need a form to call "this.form..."...

Probably many of you (who ask questions on the Tapestry list) should learn a little bit basics about html and javascript, too. It's not enough to write java code, you should understand what the template code does, too.

Your question about select isn't a tapestry issue or question, it's a basic html issue; well... if you want, call it a slightly sophisticated html issue, but that's it.

If you're not sure how it works server side, first make sure which client side html code is generated (e.g. using Firebug), and work out, if and how communication with your server side tapestry application works. You will find, that this.form.submit() would trigger a builtin javascript function on a form element, but that form element doesn't exist, because it has to be an ancestor of your select - and therefore you would have needed the form element in your template as well.

That's basics, sorry.
Probably Tapestry makes development too easy, if these basics are ignored.

regards
Peter