Ulrich - I'll be curious to see what you come up with. I also use Shiro and
have the user stored in the database, and have been thinking that I need to
have a better way of having access to the current user (e.g. using some
annotation). I'm not entirely sure how this FieldConduit would work (what
Lenny suggested).

Cheers - Alex K