> You cannot use approach #2. Two separate web apps cannot call each other
directly.
> This is like having two processes on separate machines in separate JVMs.

This is not entirely true. As Josh said there is a classloader which is
common to all webapps running in a container. Take a look at the classloader
hierarchy here:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/class-loader-howto.html.

I agree with Josh that if you put your jars in the shared lib folder
(instead of mywebapp/WEB-INF/lib) you might be able to share the registry.
I'm just not sure if it's a good idea ;)