Hello!

Is there a good "best practise" in tapestry/ (or webframeworks at all) for
keeping a session for a page alive OR handling session timeouts? Is keeping
a session alive an anti-pattern?

I have two pages where some errors occur, if the user wants to do something
but the session is over. Both pages use javascript and have a callback to
the tapestry page via ajax.

e.g. user wants to slide a slider, on slide end:
new Ajax.Request(urlSetGroupPositionAndSize, { onSuccess: updatePage,
parameters: 'lat='+ lat + '&lng=' + lon + '&scopeRadius=' +
Math.floor(scopeRadius)});

but, if the session is over, i get various javascript/tapestry errors on top
of my page - I cant copy them because the error message appears "behind" my
page and it disappears after some seconds. But i could make a screenshot:

http://www.learnclip.com/tapestry/bugs/timeout.png

what i have found so far:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/tapestry-users/200504.mbox/%3c20050407181906.ga9...@jetpen.com%3E

which mentions to use httpSession.setMaxInactiveInterval or
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.java.tapestry.user/55982

which says there could be a trick to set the timeout to 0 / which is not
recommended or to use javascript with a period updater / which is also not
recommended.

*so, keeping the session alive is not the way*. right?

BUT

then I would need a "service", which is checking the session validity.
(http://tapestry.apache.org/current/apidocs/org/apache/tapestry5/services/Session.html#isInvalidated())

*would it be enough/ok to make JUST this on my java method* (which is called
from Javascript)?

public void onSetGroupPosAndSize(){

if (session.isInvalidated(){

//return LoginPage.class;