@Thiago: The goal was not to apply a component as a mixin.

I'm working on a fancy AutocompleteTextfield class that acts like Google's
search text field, i.e. as you type, you get a greyed out completion of the
top result in the autocomplete list. If you open gmail and type in to the
search field, you'll see exactly what I mean.

I've got a working version that stacks 3 different text fields
together: one that defines the viewable area, one for the greyed out text,
and the last one is the actual text field that the user types in to...it's
this text field that currently uses the autocomplete mixin.

It works pretty good, but it still needs some tweaks, which is why I asked
the original question. It occurred to me that I may be able to simplify the
code if I could extend the existing Autocomplete mixin. Perhpas it's a bad
idea, but it was just a thought.

BTW, I believe I have permission to release this component as open source
once it's completed, so any help would be much appreciated :)