Thanks Taha and Howard!  Looks like I have some more learning to do, which
is always great.
BTW, I'm on T5.3.6.

Howard, for my purposes the JSON payload for the visualization needs to be
generated at runtime when the user clicks (I'll eventually have dozens of
clickable links, each one a costly calculation)--your solution sounds like
the json is getting pre-calculated (unless I am interpreting it wrong,
which is likely)

I was trying one of Taha's old examples that seemed similar (
http://apache-tapestry-mailing-list-archives.1045711.n5.nabble.com/Updating-a-page-with-a-JSONObject-td3339940.html
)
But I'm getting an error with that.  Possibly because I'm trying to trigger
the Ajax response through an eventlink I added to the TML, with no Zone.
Do I need to make use of a zone component at all?  I'm getting an
error of "Page
must be specified before initializing for partial page render."