I don't completely understand, do you really mean setting
SUPPRESS_PROTOTYPE to *false* allows tapestry to use Prototype
implementations? I'm expecting that SUPPRESS_PROTOTYPE, literally,
suppresses usage of Prototype and allows to switch to jQuery completely. Is
this right?

Seems like I have found what caused my problem - it was my own mixin (that,
in turn, uses PathJS library). I'm not sure where exactly the error is, but
switching this mixin off restored the functionality of autocomplete. I'm
trying to switch to jquery-hashchange plugin and check what happens.

--
Ilya Obshadko