Hi John,

I had a similar update zone problem with the tree element, but because of
my left hand tree, right hand update got around it by vertical-align in css
for the tree side.

If you are using jquery, the scrollTop might help.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14886038/get-scroll-position-using-jquery

or maybe set anchor points in the page and toggle a variable in your page
class as they are scrolled past?
i.e. section1, section2, section3

or perhaps there's some sort of disable zone update that can be applied.

interesting problem...
chris