One query is for the rowcount, the other is for the results (for a single
page).
The only way to do it with one query is to add an extra column to the
result set for the row count. This value will be exactly the same for every
row in the result set.

I personally don't see an issue with 2 queries... premature optimisation
perhaps ;)