Thank you for all your responses and references.

What i want to activate is the SIMPLE_OPTIMIZATIONS level that activates
whitespace removal and renaming (shortening) of variables and functions. my
webapp is getting used more by mobile clients (tablets, phonse) than
desktop clients. during testing and optimization i realized that the form
of the js -  eg. whitespaces - has an impact on the execution performance.
gzip does a great job in shrinking the file sizes but unzipping on a mobile
client has a performance toll which is noticeable on app startup leaving
the user with the perception the app were slow.

cheers,
Kris