Yes, I'm also a little puzzled how Exfm got away with it.. :)

Think apps that are distributed through appstore needs to go through the
normal approval process.

... but, Apple does have an Enterprise program where apps are not required
to be approved by them. Could be a viable option, but comes with a steeper
price-tag.
https://developer.apple.com/programs/ios/enterprise

/magnus