Sadly I did posted it

Communication with the server failed: null
Ajax failure: Status 200 for #{request.url}: null
Communication with the server failed: null

Not much more info then this. In the console I can see

   1. Communication with the server failed: null
t5-console-jquery.js:64<http://localhost:8080/assets/e55b8baca63242ca/jquery/t5-console-jquery.js>
      1.
errort5-console-jquery.js:64<http://localhost:8080/assets/e55b8baca63242ca/jquery/t5-console-jquery.js>
      2.
$.extend.invokeLoggertapestry-jquery.js:160<http://localhost:8080/assets/e55b8baca63242ca/jquery/tapestry-jquery.js>
      3.
$.extend.errortapestry-jquery.js:120<http://localhost:8080/assets/e55b8baca63242ca/jquery/tapestry-jquery.js>
      4.
$.tapestry.utils.ajaxFailureHandlertapestry-jquery.js:1138<http://localhost:8080/assets/e55b8baca63242ca/jquery/tapestry-jquery.js>
      5.
firejquery-1.7.2.js:1075<http://localhost:8080/assets/e55b8baca63242ca/jquery/jquery_core/jquery-1.7.2.js>
      6.
self.fireWithjquery-1.7.2.js:1193<http://localhost:8080/assets/e55b8baca63242ca/jquery/jquery_core/jquery-1.7.2.js>
      7.
donejquery-1.7.2.js:7550<http://localhost:8080/assets/e55b8baca63242ca/jquery/jquery_core/jquery-1.7.2.js>
      8.
callbackjquery-1.7.2.js:8334<http://localhost:8080/assets/e55b8baca63242ca/jquery/jquery_core/jquery-1.7.2.js>

Ajax failure: Status 200 for #{request.url}: null

Yea showUploadProgress() is defined in the main.js which is include. Also I
can see the effect of that code so I know it works, however it breaks ajax
requests.

When I pass the parameter such as

        params.put("onSubmit", new JSONLiteral("showUploadProgress()"));

in the page I can see

"uploadable" : [ { "elementId" : "imageUpload", "onSubmit" :
showUploadProgress(), "maxConnections" : 3, "action" :
"/assets.assetdata.updateassetimage.imageupload:upload", "sizeLimit" : 0,
"showMessagesDialog" : "uploadErrorMesages", "multiple" : false, "messages"
: { "cancelLabel" : "Cancel", "failedLabel" : "Failed", "uploadLabel" :
"Upload Image(s)", "typeError" : "{file} has an invalid extension. Only
{extensions} are allowed.", "sizeError" : "{file} is too large, maximum
file size is {sizeLimit}.", "onLeave" : "The files are being uploaded, if
you leave now the upload will be canceled.", "dropAreaLabel" : "Drag and
drop images here.", "minSizeError" : "{file} is too small, minimum file
size is {minSizeLimit}.", "emptyError" : "{file} is empty, please select
files again without it." } },

and then I can see the effects of the method (without parentheses the
code doesn't work but the error is still present).

Is there any other way to pass this method to the component?