Thanks for the hint

Apparently another dependency was pulling in commons-io:commons-io:1.4,
while tapestry-wro4j needs 2.2.

So I added following to my pom:

<dependency>
     <groupId>commons-io</groupId>
     <artifactId>commons-io</artifactId>
     <version>2.2</version>
</dependency>

Which made the error disappear, but gave me the next error:

Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Bad language version: 180
    at org.mozilla.javascript.Context.checkLanguageVersion(Context.java:772)
    at org.mozilla.javascript.Context.setLanguageVersion(Context.java:741)
    at
ro.isdc.wro.extensions.script.RhinoScriptBuilder.createContext(RhinoScriptBuilder.java:66)
    at
ro.isdc.wro.extensions.script.RhinoScriptBuilder.<init>(RhinoScriptBuilder.java:41)
    at
ro.isdc.wro.extensions.script.RhinoScriptBuilder.<init>(RhinoScriptBuilder.java:36)
    at
ro.isdc.wro.extensions.script.RhinoScriptBuilder.newClientSideAwareChain(RhinoScriptBuilder.java:221)
    at
ro.isdc.wro.extensions.processor.support.less.LessCss.initScriptBuilder(LessCss.java:46)
    ... 113 more

Guess I'll have to dig deeper in the dependency tree...

I wish I could use Tapestry 5.4 already with built in features like
Less, Bootstrap, ...!