Yes, this is the "normal" way, another way is to make a tapestry form, f.e.:
<t:form>
<t:textfield value="username" />
<t:passwordfield value="password" />
<t:submit />
</t:form>

and in OnSuccess event something like:

@inject
AuthenticationManager authenticationManager;

void onSuccess() {
Authentication authentication = new
UsernamePasswordAuthenticationToken(username, password);
Authentication authResult =
authenticationManager.authenticate(authentication);
SecurityContextHolder.getContext().setAuthentication(authResult);
}
this code throws an AuthenticationException if authentication fails.

Eugen