He probably has existing stuff. So not really a reverse proxy to app server.
Like,

<?php

stuff going on here

?>

<tapestry form here>
And wants the tapestry stuff to be embedded here - like a cool form
</tapestry form here>

<?php

and go back to php here

?>

<footer>
  All in the same page, copyright 2020 (me).
</footer>