Sometimes I'll use curl to get the module, to see if it has recompiled ...
and then, yes, it's usually the browser caching when I really want it not
to.

In addition, modules are streamed with Cache-Control header that gives them
a short time to live (I believe a minute by default).  Otherwise, each page
navigation results in a new set of requests for the same modules (all
responding with 304, since the requests will include the module's E-Tag in
the If-None-Match header).