Benjamin,

I can't reproduce your problem. I just created a new project using the
Maven Archetype for Tapestry 5.3.8, then added the OrderHandling page
exactly as described at
http://tapestry.apache.org/5.3/apidocs/org/apache/tapestry5/corelib/components/Palette.html
and it worked fine. (I could move items between the left and right
lists with no problems.) Then I upgraded to Tapestry 5.3.8 (by editing
the version in the pom.xml file) and it still worked fine.

I suggest you look for JavaScript errors in your browser's console.
Something you've added might be messing with the JavaScript that the
Palette component uses.