For 5.4? Use exceptions, not error codes and the new contributable
DefaultExceptionHandler. 5.4 contains a built-in a version of
tapestry-exceptionpage (see http://tynamo.org/tapestry-exceptionpage+guide,
you can map exceptions to specific pages with context). I've written the
javadocs for 5.4 but I have yet to revise the cwiki documentation (and you
are welcome to help/take charge of that since its your specialty - and
thanks for the 5.3.8 release notes btw).

Kalle