On Mon, 19 Jan 2015 19:05:49 -0200, George Christman <gchrist...@cardaddy.com> wrote:

Well that is what I'm currently doing, but the problem I'm facing is
the app generates millions of pages and your only allowed to have 50k
per sitemap.

Not really a problem. See http://www.sitemaps.org/protocol.html, section Using Sitemap index files (to group multiple sitemap files).

Is there a way to get around the permission issue and write the file
to webapp or will I be required to have to figure out an alternate
approach as you suggested?

Just write to the right folder. You were trying to write to the filesystem root, which wouldn't even work to get the sitemap web-accessible even if there was no permission problem. Make your code write the file to your expanded WAR root folder in Tomcat or other servlet container. This link, http://www.avajava.com/tutorials/lessons/how-do-i-get-the-location-of-my-web-application-context-in-the-file-system.html, should help you find the right folder.

--
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
http://machina.com.br