I do not agree with you on that point. Tapestry is designed to cache the page. When you do not have enough memory to hold your pages cached basically the system does not work as designed so you should fail early. Otherwise you possible defer the problem to production use. Fail early means you should try to see the problem in the early stages on dev, where you try out all your pages. As I mentioned in my other post - you would also not expect the EntityManager to work soft-refereences or spring application context to work soft referenced.

Robert