I'm upgrading a very old tapestry 5.0 project to 5.3

One very common convention in this project was for a setup like this

// ParentPage.java
class ParentPage {
Object onActionFromParentAction  {...}

// ParentPage.tml:
..
 <a t:type="actionlink" t:id="parentAction"> foo </a>

// ChildPage.java
class ChildPage extends ParentPage {
Object onActionFromChildAction  {...}

// ChildPage.tml
 <a t:type="actionlink" t:id="childAction"> foo </a>

The problem in Tapestry 5.3 is I am getting:
Component package/ChildPage does not contain embedded component 'ParentAction'.

Because the ChildPage doesn't have an actionlink for ParentAction, as it is
handled purely on the ParentPage.

What's the ideal solution here? What's the most practical to fix this? Can I
get tapestry to ignore event handlers that don't have a tml component?

Thanks,

Casey