It is the tapestry module I'm referring to.

It is located in the sources as coffeescript:
tapestry-core/src/main/coffeescript/META-INF/modules/t5/core/ajax.coffee

or in the tapestry-core.jar ( META-INF/modules/t5/core/ajax.js )

The generated documentation for the module is here:
http://tapestry.apache.org/5.4/coffeescript/ajax.html

The sources are the best place to go if you want to know how the stuff is
put together beneath the covers.