Hi Christopher,
In my case the annotation @ServerEndpoint decorates an Service
implementation class.

I don't invoke any threads in WS Methods, but, i think You can use the
Tapestry's ParralelExecutor Service to optimize the processing of client
requests (see https://tapestry.apache.org/parallel-execution.html)

As WebSocket Client I use this library -
https://github.com/TooTallNate/Java-WebSocket

Regards
Eugen