Solved - it turns out that Tapestry loads its own version of moment.js
which is incompatible with fullcalendar.

This does the trick:

@Contribute(ModuleManager.class)
public static void configureScheduler(MappedConfiguration<String,
Object> configuration,

@Path("classpath:META-INF/assets/scheduler-1.9.4/lib/moment.min.js")
Resource momentJs,

@Path("classpath:META-INF/assets/scheduler-1.9.4/lib/fullcalendar.js")
Resource fullCalendarJs,

@Path("classpath:META-INF/assets/scheduler-1.9.4/scheduler.js")
Resource schedulerJs) {
    configuration.override("moment", new
JavaScriptModuleConfiguration(momentJs));
    configuration.add("fullcalendar", new
JavaScriptModuleConfiguration(fullCalendarJs).dependsOn("moment").exports("fullcalendar"));
}

--
Ilya Obshadko