I understand synchronization and deadlocks. I'm just looking for some guidance.
(1) Based on the problem I've described, is an analysis of a JVM thread dump a
good next step for diagnosing the hang, or else what would be and (2) are there
any resources that would be helpful with that analysis (e.g. something that I
can use as a tutorial for understanding everything the dump contains).

In the broader sense of looking at this as a JVM hang, I realize that's going
to be OT. On the other hand, there are elements of this for which some insight
from other tomcat users-perhaps some of which might have resolved similar
issues-is very relevant.

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 8:56 AM 10/18/200518/2005 >>>

> If I generate a dump of the JVM using Ctrl-Break while
> running Tomcat as a console app, what's the best resource for
> interpreting this? I suspect the problem is a thread
> deadlock, or something similar.

This tells us that you succeed in getting a JVM thread dump and
you are asking for help about how to analyze a JVM thread dump, right?

Doing this is an art. It requires that you understand thread
synchronizationm, the Java monitor concept and many other
nontrivial things.

Where are we supposed to start? (I'm not saying that this list
is not supposed to help you, but if we have to start explaining
Java synchronization and deadlocks, this would very probably
be way off this list and i'm far too lazy/busy to dig this deep...)

Robert