Well, i saw the ServletContextListener thingies.
Here is what i read about it, not quite the same, in servlet 2.4
specifications:

SRV.10.3.2        Deployment Declarations
Listener classes are declared in the Web application deployment
descriptor using the
listener element. They are listed by class name in the order in which
they are to be
invoked.
SRV.10.3.3        Listener Registration
The Web container creates an instance of each listener class and
registers it for event
notifications prior to the processing of the first request by the
application. The Web
container registers the listener instances according to the interfaces
they implement
and the order in which they appear in the deployment descriptor. During Web
application execution, listeners are invoked in the order of their
registration.

It is also stated there:
SRV.14.2.12    ServletContextListener
  public interface ServletContextListener extends
  java.util.EventListener
  All Superinterfaces: java.util.EventListener
  Implementations of this interface receive notifications about changes
to the serv-
  let context of the web application they are part of. To receive
notification events,
  the implementation class must be configured in the deployment
descriptor for the
  web application.
  Since: v 2.3
  See Also: ServletContextEvent

So, i agree you can create a ServletContextListener, but you must anyway
declare them in the web.xml. The container is not supposed to scan the .jar
and WEB-INF/classes for them, mainly because to know if a Class implement an
interface, you need to get the Class objet and so you run the static
code of the class.

Last but not least, using a Servlet has the additional advantage it can
be easily configured
if needed without ressorting to an additionnal config file in the classpath.