Question is not clear, but i'll try to reply.

All action attempted by any code inside the jvm running tomcat
(that is operations done by JSP, servlet, realms, tomcat itself and
any other java classes you may add to webapp) are done
on behalf of the user which started tomcat.
So if you start tomcat by hand like this:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~/tomcat/jakarta-tomcat-5.5.7$ bin/startup.sh
All action will be done on behalf of user 'delbd'
If you start tomcat in a startup script, change recommend you set
the user to a user named, for example, 'tomcat' which has write
access limited to the tomcat directory.

Keep in mind, if you want your tomcat to listen on port 80 (this port
is reserved for root in linux as it is a so called low port), you will then
need to run tomcat as root, which is clearly NOT recommanded!
(prefer to run an apache http server on port 80 and prowy the
tomcat server using mod_jk)

Last but not least, If your tomcat webapp is to serve only html files,
it more performant to stick with apache http server!

Regard,
David Delbecq