Francis Galiegue wrote:

<Host name="localhost" debug="0" appBase="external-webapps" autoDeploy="false"
 deployXML="false" deployOnStartup="true" unpackWARs="true"
xmlValidation="false"
 xmlNamespaceAware="false">
[...]
  <Context docBase="/var/lib/tomcat5/webapps/one2team" path="" id="o2t">
prefix="access-kitu-"
     suffix=".log" pattern="common"/>
prefix="kitu-" suffix=".log"
     verbosity="2" timestamp="true"/>
  </Context>
</Host>

But then this is flawed:
* The external-webapps directory does not exist, and tomcat doesn't
seem to complain. However, future versions may.

Indeed.  I recommend setting appBase to a real, empty directory.
It seems a bit odd having to maintain an empty dir as part of
the configuration, but you can do it if you try :-)  You may want
to put a README in there, saying "do not interfere"...

What's more, if this
directory is created and a webapp exists in there we get to the same
problem...

If webapps just magically come into existence on your server then
it needs stricter administration :-)

* I'm no expert at all with Tomcat but this just looks like there's a
far more simple, elegant way...

(before you're an expert you'll stop expecting this ;-)

e.g. an attribute to retain deployment on startup from explicit
contexts while suppressing implicit deployment from the appBase?

Paul Singleton