What I ended up doing was

svn checkout
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/build/tc5.5.x/resources/
mkdir build-tomcat
cp resources/build.xml build-tomcat
cd build-tomcat
ant

Subversion complained that I couldn't check out a single file, so I
grabbed the whole resources folder instead. Trying to 'ant' from there
gave me another svn error as it (ant+svn) couldn't checkout the tomcat
sources in a folder already under svn control.

Thanks for your help Mark, appreciate it!

Olve