Graham,

You mention Eclipse.  Are you using a version of WebTools?
Assuming you are, be aware that the launch configuration
created for Tomcat v5.5.x is missing the JVM argument:

-Djava.util.logging.manager=org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager

that you would normally get from Tomcat 5.5's startup batch
scripts.  Adding this argument manually would likely make the
logging reappear.  HTH.

Cheers,
Larry