I tried last week to make my tomcat auth with LDAP. I installed Sun One
directory for this test.

<!--Realm
                className="org.apache.catalina.realm.JNDIRealm"
                debug="99"
                connectionURL="ldap://dev21.korem.local:59004";
                userPattern="uid={0},dc=korem,dc=local"
                userRoleName="nsroledn"
                roleName="cn"

        /-->

Basically it's working, it authenticate user, I see on the Sun One logs
the request, etc... and the user become available in
request.getRemoteUser() etc..., my only problem is the mapping of roles,
I had problem to retrieve roles I set on the users. The only way for me
to make it work was to map roles to single attributes.

My role problem is simple, something like that:
I created a role "KnownUser" in Sun One with the add role function then
mapped the user to this role. On the user this role attribute is for
example
nsroledn=cn=KnownUser;dc=Korem;dc=local
and in my realm tag I specify userRoleName=nsroledn and roleName=cn but
it keep give me the role=cn=KnownUser;dc=Korem;dc=local when using
request.isUserInRole(). I'm gonna test it again this week maybe.